As active lifestyle enthusiasts, we find ourselves enthralled with tradition and the dusty trail that lies before us. Since 1853, Levi Strauss and Co. has provided us with the quality materials we find necessary to fulfill our wildest adventurers. As one of the American West’s original wholesalers, Strauss provided goods and support, in partnership with family convenience stores, to make the pilgrimage West just a tad more enjoyable. Even till this day, the company’s innovations are timeless and are often taken for granted via our 21st century technologies. These original patents included such mainstays as rivets for long-lasting durability, in 1872, and the first pre-shrunk pair of denim, in the early 1960s. In one form or another, Levi Strauss & Company has shaped everyone’s sense of fashion and lifestyle.
One of Levi Strauss’s greatest attributes is their company’s commitment to originality and vision. Enter the 1950s and James Dean’s immortal “Rebel Without a Cause”, teenagers became enthralled with the actor’s shocking demeanor and his taste for rough & rowdy clothing attire. To squash out this unforeseen threat, schools banned Levi’s and would not allow them on campus grounds. Even as trends come and go, Levi’s has remained true to their product’s quality and everlasting presence in our day-to-day lives.
A large part of Strauss and Co.’s vision is their likeness to philanthropy and the environment. In 1902, Levi Strauss passed away, but his four sons carried on his numerous charities throughout the Bay Area, mainly children and providing for the poor. Today, Levi remains invested in mankind, but has lent an additional hand to the environment. Through such sustainable initiatives as WATER
Company Interior Practices
- Levi’s Terms of Engagement
- Protecting the rights of workers
- Safe, healthy, and human working conditions
Company Exterior Practices
- Community Support
- Since 1854, donations to the local orphanage
- Established a year after Levi Strauss & Co. was founded
- Local volunteer organizations
- From San Francisco to Singapore
- Employee Program
- Paid time-off for employees that donate their time to local communities
- Levi’s Water
- Uses significantly less water during the finishing process
- Reduce up to 96% of water normally used
- More than 40% of all Levi’s products are made with Water
- Factory-to-Store Delivery
- Using less intensive modes of transportation (e.g. rail and container ships)
- Day-to-Day Energy Use
- Efficient lighting and air conditioning in stores/distribution centers
Did you know… Saving Water Is Easy! Did you know that you there are easy and convenient ways to save water around your home? Just think, instead of handwashing dishes, just let the dishwater do all the work! Recent studies show that we conserve more water by using a dishwasher than by handwashing each dish, tirelessly, by hand. Additionally, take a shower and not a bath! It will get your day started quicker and who wants to experience pruned fingers anyways!